Information Literacy (IL) Support
Information Literacy (IL) Sessions
In IL sessions, librarians visit COCC classes to provide instruction custom-tailored to course assignments and needs.
Concepts and skills covered in instruction may include:
- Selecting appropriate sources to fulfill an information need
- Developing appropriate topics for research and determining keywords
- Using effective search techniques in databases and other search tools
- Critically evaluating information and its sources for their value and quality
- Citing sources correctly and using sources ethically to avoid plagiarism
Embedded Librarian Program
Participating in the embedded program will allow a librarian to have a more focused instructional approach beyond what can be accomplished in a single classroom visit. You will work directly with one librarian to customize the experience based on your needs and schedule, but most participants have included at least one of the following elements:
- A mention of the librarian/embedded program in the syllabus and a 5-minute introduction visit at the beginning of the term
- A discussion board in Canvas monitored by the librarian
- Between 3-5 visits, shorter than the IL Sessions and scaffolded to target specific skills at the point of need
- An assignment developed by the faculty member and librarian to specifically address research skills
Contact Kirsten Hostetler for more information.
Not looking for in-depth instruction but still want to introduce your students to the Library and its services more generally? Schedule a Library Tour.
IL Instruction Materials
COCC librarians have created information literacy instructional materials that you may find helpful. Faculty are welcome to reuse any of the tutorials or this additional material in their own courses.
By Cat Finney
Research guides and tips for specific topics.
Information Literacy Blog
By Kirsten Hostetler
Posts for COCC students interested in learning more about research, highlighting search techniques and resources available at Barber Library.